DC FASHION EVENT RECAP: Sweet Charity 2011 | Fashion Blogs :: DC Fashion Blog :: Shopping Blog :: Vintage Clothing

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

DC FASHION EVENT RECAP: Sweet Charity 2011

Anytime you mix fashion with chocolate, I will be there! I attended Sweet Charity 2011 last week (it was the only event I attended unfortunately since I was sick as a dog the rest of the week!) There were goodies everywhere. Sweet Charity is held every year to raise awareness and funds for the Heart of America Foundation which seeks to promote volunteer service and literacy. Proceeds from the event will benefit their "Books from the Heart" and "READesign" programs which work to revitalize school libraries and reading spaces in the DC schools. To date, Heart of America Foundation has provided more than two million library and take-home books to DC children.

So I did my due diligence and walked around to snap a few shots before getting my palette wet. I wanted to scope out where I wanted to go and what I absolutely had to try. There was a mix of savory and sweet. Which made me very happy. I had the most delish kabob of kobe beef with foam ever at the Alber Uster Imports table. The macaroons from Adour at the St. Regis were divine. I drooled over the delights at the Coco Sala table. If you have not been to Coco Sala, you are truly missing something! But I digress. There was deliciousness everywhere you turned. The Ritz-Carlton DC and Tysons had tasty treats on their tables including the super fabulous Root Beer Float. So good.

In addition to the gourmet delicacies, the Heart of American Foundation and AUI presented a few much deserved awards during the night. The Principal of the Year award was given to Dr. Grace A. Reid. She is the principal at Barnard Elementary School in NW Washington. She started out as the School Psychologist and then the Special Education Coordinator. She was appointed Principal in 2009. She conducts parent workshops on the weekend and also works as an adjunct professor at my Alma Mater, Howard University.









The Alber Uster Chef of the Year was presented to Chef Dan Wecker of the Elkridge Furnace Inn. Chef Wecker has made community service and charity work a big priority in his life. He coached high school culinary teams, donates his time and money to local charities, and hires mentally challenged employees through the Arc of Howard County program. He also started "Bastille Day," an annual fundraiser to raise money for John Hopkins Pediatric Trauma Center. Wecker's sons have a rare genetic disorder and receive top notch care at Hopkins.









It was so great to see WJLA-7 anchor Leon Harris receive the National Heroes of the Heart award. The best part was that he was totally surprised. Harris had no idea that he was going to receive this award. He spends his free time working with various non-profit organizations because he believe so passionately in giving back to the community. He serves on numerous charitable boards including those of Junior Achievement of the National Capital Area and For Love of Children.















Various Yummy Food Stations








I love seeing folks that I haven't seen in awhile. I was so happy to run into one of my favorite people in the world, Christine Cropper-Brooks, President of the GWFCC and a member of the Sweet Charity Host Committee.



I also love seeing folks that I would like to know. So I was tickled when I had asked Chef Spike Mendelsohn to take a picture with me and instead he said to me, "only if you take it with me." I was more than happy to take a picture with the sexy Top Chef alum. In case you don't know, Chef Spike owns Good Stuff Eatery and We, The Pizza on Capitol Hill.



But of course, there was a fashion show. But a fashion show made of candy. I really can't accurately describe these outfits. You really had to be there to get the gist. The theme was "Heroes in Literature." But the winner was Shaun McCarty, Pastry Sous at the Ronald Reagan Building, with his sweet Gretel character.




Other Sweet Charity Fashion Show Contestants




















0 comments: